When setting up the internet at home or in the office, many people have difficulty deciding between a wired or wireless connection. CableWholesale reviews the advantages and disadvantages of both Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections so that you can determine which is better for your application. Read on to learn more.
- Flexibility: Wi-Fi allows users to connect from anywhere within the wireless LAN’s reach. Users are free to move around within the facility and still access the internet.
- Cost: Wi-Fi is typically cheaper to set up than wired connections.
- Security: Cybercriminals can easily penetrate Wi-Fi. You’re more likely to experience a breach of sensitive data on a wireless network than a wired one.
- Speed: Wi-Fi speed isn’t the most reliable. Weak signals, buffering, and disconnection can cause inconveniences and costly downtime.
- Reach: A building’s infrastructure can prohibit Wi-Fi signals from reaching pockets of your home or office. For example, concrete walls may interfere with the connection between a router and a device in another room.
- Security: Since wired connections require physical attachments, only those with physical access to the network can gain its information. The chances of somebody hooking up their equipment and stealing info without anyone noticing are slim to none, especially with adequate security.
- Distance: Ethernet cables exist in various lengths and speeds, covering up to hundreds of feet. So, you can find an Ethernet connection for just about any distance you need to cover.
- Speed: While most Wi-Fi setups max out at one Gbps, Ethernet connection speeds can reach up to five Gbps.
- Cost: A high-quality Ethernet connection typically requires a steep investment. Upgrading wired networks can be expensive too. Fortunately, you can purchase Ethernet cables in bulk to cut down on equipment costs.
So, think about the differences between Wi-Fi vs. Ethernet connections and which is better for your application. Your choice will ultimately depend on your needs. If you’re looking to offer an internet connection in your public business, such as a coffee shop or bookstore, Wi-Fi will be a nice amenity for your guests.
However, if you’re setting up a network for your private business or household, Ethernet connections are the way to go because they’re safer and faster. Having quality equipment for your network will also ensure that your Ethernet connection remains reliable for data transmission.
CableWholesale supplies high-speed HDMI cables with Ethernet for people looking to get the greatest internet connection for entertainment, work, and anything in between. We have a broad selection of high-speed Ethernet cords to choose from as well, so you can create a suitable wired connection no matter what devices you use. Contact one of our tech professionals today to learn more about our products and impressive warranty.